Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tomatoes and Milk

I haven't quite figured out how to take pictures under florescent light but wanted to show a nifty tomato tip I got from an employee, or maybe she was the owner,  of a nice garden supply store in the Beaches a few years ago.  I have been using her tip ever since and it is excellent.

I can't remember how the conversation came up but think I was buying some seeds and we started talking about growing tomatoes.  I had always had trouble with how fast they grow and the need to transplant.  I wondered if I was starting them too early, thus requiring more frequent transplanting.  Since it is so easy to break them, I never really liked doing it.   In terms of timing, she told me that she generally plants her seeds when Canada Blooms, a Toronto garden show, is on.  But more interesting was how she planted the seeds.

Here's the recipe using milk bags:
 - cut a few slits for drainage at one end of the bag
 - cut the top off of the other end
 - roll the bag to make a little "pot" about 2 to 3 inches high
 - fill this little pot with soil, drop in a few seeds and wait to see what happens
 - as the seeds sprout, thin to one plant per bag
 - as the plants grow, roll up the folded bag and add some more soil

Tomatoes grow more roots along the stem as the additional soil is added, making the plant stronger.  When planting out in the garden (after my least favourite seed starting process, hardening off), dig a deep hole, cut along the side of the milk bag with a knife and gently place the plant and all of that lovely soil in the hole.  And don't forget to scratch in some Epsom salts to reduce the chances of blossom end rot.

No comments: