Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rhubarb!

I love rhubarb.  In fact, in about February, I start to dream about all of the yummy things I'm going to make with it as soon as it pops out of the ground.  And, other than chives, it is the first edible from my garden which makes it even more exciting.

Last weekend I made a rhubarb crisp since I needed something soft and interesting for breakfast until my gums heal.  And last night I made my favourite pie in history - rhubarb pie.  No strawberry rhubarb required.  Straight up, undisguised rhubarb.  For some reason I had trouble rolling out the bottom crust.  But the top crust was fine.  Same mixture, different experience.  Maybe I dumped enough flour on the rolling pin so that by the time I got to the top it was ready to go.  I would rather have a messy bottom crust than a messy top crust anyway.  It is easy to fudge the bottom because only the fruit sees it and is not judgemental.

Next up will be a rhubarb jam recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.

I think I've come up with a reason why some people have to find time to be creative.   A new friend at the office and I were talking about our other, creative lives that we pursue outside the office.  We talked about creative people needing to do these things to feed their souls.  This is very much the philosophy of The Artist's Way.  I guess that's why some people can wait to do these things until they retire where others have to keep at it constantly.

No comments: