Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Not sure which magazine Monday

Yesterday was new recipe day.  It started with some lovely scones from a new purchase, Flour.  These were Oatmeal Maple Scones and were very, very tasty.  A little sweet with the glaze of maple syrup and icing sugar but tasty never-the-less.

For dinner it was fish and potatoes from The River Cafe's Italian Too Easy, a book I picked up 1/2 price last summer.  Likely because it appears to be out of print.  I liked the fish, which is baked with anchovies on top but the potatoes were unexciting.  Despite being boiled beforehand, roasted under the fish for 6 minutes and then poached in white wine, they weren't that tasty.  I think if I do this again, I'll roast the potatoes first and then put the fish on top.  This method has worked well in the past.

Back to the anchovies.  I don't believe that, other than in Caesar salad, I've ever had anchovies.  I'd have to say that it is a shame that I've reached this age and not enjoyed these frequently.  I'll have to make up for that going forward.  Delicious.

Finally, the magazine part was Roasted Sesame and Panko Crusted Asparagus with Soy-Ginger Drizzle.  I have no idea what magazine this was from but it was yummy.  Basically you coat the asparagus in a mayo, soy sauce, rice vinegar mixture and then dip in Panko.  Bake for about 15 minutes in a hot oven and then drizzle with a soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili sauce blend.  Yummy, yummy, yummy.  And likely even better if I had remembered to include the sesame seeds.  And the asparagus was fresh from Rebecca's father's farm.  Can't get much better than that.

No comments: