Friday, May 27, 2011

Field Trip

Yesterday I made a trek into Toronto to get my stitches out - new gums are in place.  Yay.  Since I had to go in on a non work day, I decided to make a bit of a field trip out of it.  First stop, mainly because it was the only place on my list open at 9:30, was David's Teas where I replenished my Earl Grey supply and a few others and bought this Timolino travel mug.  It is vacuum sealed and has a little filter for loose leaf tea.  The best part, it also has a little hiding place for extra tea so it can take you far!  I think I'll use it at the office but that might mean that I need to buy another to have at home for road trips.  Such a dilemma.

Next stop was The Workroom.  I have been wanting to go back and check out their book selection since it seemed quite interesting the one time I was there before with insufficient time to do it justice.  Since they didn't open until 11, it was not the world's biggest crisis that I took the street car too far because I was fighting with the Rock Island shawl and completely didn't hear the stop called.  I am firmly convinced that it wasn't called.  The streetcar driver had a good laugh at my expense.

Anyway, I stopped for a latte at a coffee shop that was recommended by the Toronto Star a little while ago.  I can't remember the name but it wasn't very interesting.  The latte was fine with a nice fancy leaf design in the milk but no better than Aroma in the Standard Life building.  They do a nice design in the milk, you get a piece of chocolate with it and the ambiance is nicer.  And given that it is in the concourse which has no ambiance, you get my drift.  I guess I'm getting too suburban to appreciate Queen West ambiance.  Oh well.  The coffee, combined with the hilarious Revenge of the Spellmans, the third in the series by Lisa Lutz, passed the time until 11 when I browsed The Workroom.  A nice place.  I didn't actually buy any fabric to my surprise.  Not enough fat quarter choices, I guess.  Also, I'm trying to limit my purchases to black and white fabrics or brown and blue ones.  That helps limit the insanity.

I also made Rhubarb Raspberry muffins from Flour.  Also good in the cakey muffin style which is more the husband's thing than mine.  Unfortunately, now that he has discovered that they have rhubarb in them, he probably won't be eating them beyond the one he scarfed down before he realized they contained his hated rhubarb.

No comments: