Thursday, May 26, 2011

Inspired by City Park

 I have been admiring a quilt called City Park for a while now.  It is made up of solids and big blocks with a navy or dark blue as the main centre piece.  I picked up the pattern and didn't find it terribly helpful so drew up my own version with the pattern as inspiration.

I used mainly Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms, with a few Love and possibly earlier lines thrown in too, and am really happy with how it turned out.  The solid blue is from Amy too.

I think the secret to a quilt using Amy Butler fabric is to include a solid or a relatively tame pattern to offset the craziness of the Amy Butlers.  I find this new one and the one below make sense because they have a solid as a kind of anchor point.  It helps your eye take in the patterns by giving it a break from the busy-ness.

I have no idea if what I'm talking about makes sense to anyone with artist training but it makes sense to me.

Comparing these to the third quilt which was all crazy patterns put together, I think this theory seems reasonable.  Since I'm still very much addicted to these fabrics, I'll probably have further opportunities to test out this hypothesis!

In the meantime, Quilter's Garden Patch is having a 24% off sale until Friday and I need some backing fabric for the new quilt.  Looks like I'll have to go buy some - and at 24% off, why not Amy Butler?


I also wanted to say Happy Birthday to Judy!  Hope your day is fabulous and includes some quilting!

No comments: