Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A new project ... surprisingly fun

Lousy picture but I took it with my iPod and so it is but it shows my latest project. We bought a new table with our kitchen reno that has a much darker stain than our original furniture.  It is also a much different style but I think we're ok with that.

We were going to see about selling the previous stuff or giving it to a niece (but she isn't in a big hurry to move out of her parent's place).

We talked to a guy we know who refinishes furniture professionally and the price for him to do it was more than we paid for the furniture in the first place.

So, I thought, to quote Mag Ruffman how hard can it be?  Let's do it ourselves.  We've sanded (the girl at Rona didn't like using stripper and a few less chemicals can never be a bad thing).  Today I mixed two stain colours and applied two coats to two shelves and the backs of two doors.  The result, pretty good.  A little lighter than the ultimate goal so I'll be a little less conservative with the stain tomorrow and off I go on the parts that people will actually see.

And if the niece ever moves out, we've still got a table and two chairs for her to take.

No comments: