Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Gym


I'm a regular gym goer; not because I like it but because I firmly believe in the benefits. And I like to eat more than the recommended calorie intake for people my height who don't exercise. So the choice is exercise or constant low caloric intake. I choose exercise. And I like what it is supposed to be doing for general health and well being. Heart disease runs in my family which keeps me motivated.

This morning there were a bunch of people I had never seen before for some reason and a few of the regulars. Like the guy who I am sure is hurting his back every time he lifts weights but for some reason the staff don't tell him (or maybe they have and he ignored them). Then there was the really annoying guy to sit beside on the train (one of the new people). He is pretty skinny and yet takes up more space than a 6 foot 300 pound person. It's funny to see people out of context. I saw him lifting some weights and pictured him in a beige raincoat. Makes you think you've lost it until you realize why that connection makes sense.

And in a knitterly moment (yes at the gym) - a few weeks ago there was a lady in the change room wearing two different fun socks. Loving socks, I commented on their fun-ness and asked if she was a knitter. Turns out she is but has never figured out socks. Always wanting to spread the joy of sock knitting, I packed my favourite basic pattern in my bag. I saw her again today and gave it to her. Here's to hoping she becomes a sock knitting fan.

The socks in the picture are my fat sock recipe with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. A great yarn to work with and socks knit up in half the time.

I started my Olympic project and have already felt the familiar wrist pain I get when I knit too much. This is not good. I'll rest for a bit and hope to pick it up later today pain free. Significant progress must be made this weekend if I am to have any hope of making the end of the games. I will push through it!

I'm not normally a fan of opening ceremonies at Olympics and didn't really love last night's show. There were parts I liked but overall was ok to look down at the knitting I kept goofing up and wasn't worried I'd miss anything important. I cast on at the beginning of the ceremonies and was grateful. If I'd waited for the torch lighting I would have cast on one stitch and then fallen asleep.

No comments: