Saturday, January 18, 2014

I feel it all



These are the first pair of "fat socks" I made.  So called because they are made with Hello Yarn's Fat Sock Yarn, a sport weight yarn that I quite enjoyed knitting socks with.  I had three different colour ways that made three pairs of very comfortable socks.  I like wearing them around the house when I have no plans to venture too far in shoes that are too small to fit the socks.

I made these socks several years ago and have worn them quite often.  As a result, they have popped a few holes.  The heel and a good part of the toe are both made up of replacement parts (aka leftover yarn).  They are now quite a bumpy walking experience but I still can't bring myself to throw them out.  I guess as long as the darning is on the bottom of the sock, I'm the only one who is going to know about it and until feeling the little bumps from the darning starts to bug me, I'll keep fixing them up.

I have a box of other socks with holes in them that I've started fixing gradually.  If I have a few moments when getting dressed, I'll darn a pair to wear for the day instead of pulling a pair out of the sock drawer. This might get them finished in time to start popping holes in my newer socks.

A nice side effect of my sock knitting hobby and reluctance to part with any of the socks … I get to link with the past by using my grandmother's darning eggs.


No comments: