Sunday, January 12, 2014

Howl

For the last several nights between 9 and 10 pm, we hear cats howling in our front yard.  Last night, it happened again.  This time, it sounded like one of the little monsters was in our house he was so loud.  So we went to investigate.  Now, I thought I knew all of the cats that hang out in the neighbourhood.  But when I opened the front door to a pale coloured fluffy fellow sitting on the porch, he was a new one to me.  His rival, one of the black cats that hangs around was on the driveway.  They were in full standoff mode and didn't immediately react to my clapping my hands at them to get going on their way.  The black cat (who I have a soft spot for, loving black cats as I do), took off quite quickly after the first period of resistance.  And the other guy went the other way.

All of this got me to wonder about the other guy.  Has he been hanging out in our yard because he has nowhere else to go?  Is he just trying out a new territory and has heard through the cat grapevine that our yard is a good place to hang out?  Maybe he lives with the new people a few houses down.  I may never know but am sure the nights of serenading aren't over yet.  Some territory still needs to be sorted out.

No comments: