Monday, April 30, 2012

Charity and Stash Reduction Combined

I am still (somewhat) firmly in stash reduction mode.  More on defining the somewhat in a future post.  Two more projects done for the month of April although one, the pair of socks, might have been expressly excluded from the goal in January.

The other project is a blanket for Project Linus.  I have wanted to do something for charity besides joining a board - which would probably be rewarding but reminds me too much of may day job and not enough of what I wish was my day job - crafty stuff.  So a while ago I stumbled on Project Linus and the making of blankets for youth in hospitals or other difficult situations appealed to me.  I hadn't actually done much about the goal to participate in Project Linus until I saw that the local coordinator was going to be at Spun in Burlington a couple of months ago so I went over to check things out.

This blanket is my first project.  It was made from some yarn I picked up at The Needle Emporium's summer tent sale a few years ago and I just made up the pattern.  Cast on 135 stitches, knit 5, purl 5 to the end.  Purl the next row and keep repeating until the yarn runs out.  The result is cozy and I hope it will comfort someone.  I'm also in the middle of a raggedy quilt using left-over flannel from some baby quilts I made last summer.  Future projects aren't figured out yet but I want to work a few of these blankets in each year.  That will satisfy both my desire to do something for charity and my need to find crafty time during the day.  A win-win, I would say.

No comments: