Sunday, April 22, 2012

Things are growing!

Spring is bursting out all over.  The sad looking peach tree, that hopefully won't have peach leaf curl this year after the therapy from the fall, even has buds on it.

Arugula, onions, radishes and kohlrabi are pushing through the ground in the veggie patch.  I have about 4 asparagus spears.  Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll be able to actually eat some of them instead of letting them feed the roots.

In the grow op, I've added more soil to my tomato plants. The ground cherries and tomatillos, newly added to my seed starting repitoire, are growing.  Neither are looking particularly hearty but I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I've never actually eaten tomatillos or ground cherries but was intrigued by an article about them last year.  Since I don't think I've seen either in the grocery store around here, they just beg to be planted.

Until I started gardening, my favourite season was fall.  The leaves turning beautiful colours, the cooler air, school supplies.  But once I started gardening, it was game over for fall and spring became my favourite season.  The hope of all of those yummy dinners to come with fresh-from-the-vine produce.  The impatience to see if the work we did to get the perennial beds just right has actually worked this time.  This last is the reason gardening keeps drawing me back.  Of course we didn't get it right and it is back outside to try again.

No comments: