Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rag Blanket

Rag blankets are fun to make.  This one is going to Project Linus and if I get this written quickly, I might have time to drop it off at Spun before they close.

I had leftover flannel from some baby blankets I made for the babies of 2 cousins so pulled it out, figured out the largest sized square that would let me make the maximum number of squares.  That size was 3 1/2 x 4 1/2".  The batting pieces were cut 1 1/2 x 2 1/2" and I sewed a corner-to-corner cross in chocolate brown across each fabric/batting sandwich.   Then I sewed them together with a 1/2" seam allowance (next time I would use 3/4" - it gives more room for sewing machine slippage - I had to fix a couple of spots that came apart in the washing machine).  

The best craft item I think I have ever purchased are the special scissors for snipping these blankets.  They seemed a frivolous purchase at the time but they are more comfortable in the hand and the blades are short enough that cutting through the seams is harder to do by accident.

I just love these blankets.  They are quick, easy and cozy.

No comments: