Sunday, June 10, 2012

Random Garden Thoughts

1.  I think I would select daisies as my favourite flower, especially the painted ones.  These pink daisies are at the top of the list and I also like the crimson flowers that I can enjoy while sitting on the patio.  Then there are the white ones that bloom a little later in the summer.  They are a bit sturdier and seem to last a bit longer.  Of course, I also really like lilacs and peonies and black-eyed Susans and Echinecea and ...

2.  We picked up another rain barrel yesterday.  That makes 3.  The town sells them for less than 1/2 the store price once a year so you can't go wrong.  I think it is healthier for the plants and presumably saves a little money.

3.  The peas are almost ready to eat in quantity.  I did my annual stand in the garden and eat from the nearest pod this morning.  Peas never taste better than at that moment.

4.  We have some potatoes that will be ready to start digging shortly.

5.  I am loving the large quantities of herbs at my doorstep.  The cooking imagination can go in so many directions when so many lovely flavours are at hand.

6.  The only downside of summer - it was too hot to knit outside today.  Project-wise, I was working on a sweater which was part of the problem.  Need to get those summer projects lined up and ready for the hot weather.  I must stay productive and focused on the stash reduction - even though I picked up some more Noro on sale yesterday.  Ugh!

No comments: