Sunday, May 27, 2012

Course with the Yarn Harlot

This weekend, I spent some time with Stephanie, the Yarn Harlot, in North Bay.  She was up there doing a talk entitled "This is Your Brain on Knitting" which was very good and thought provoking.  Since I have family there and haven't been up all winter, it seemed like a good time to make the drive.

Stephanie's talk was very good and I was especially interested in the study at a convent in France comparing Dementia and Alzheimer's incidence in nuns who knit (lower) versus nuns who did not (higher).  Since my mother had Alzheimer's and her only relative who lived past 55 also had it, I suspect there is a genetic link on that side of the family so think about it in relationship to myself.  Since we have already established through many posts that I love knitting, hopefully I have another strategy (besides exercising and trying to eat properly) that will help me to fight off this dreaded disease if I have inherited those genes.

On Saturday, Stephanie gave a course on how to knit faster.  Prior to the course, I wasn't sure how she would fill the entire day on this subject but she did.  She started with the history of knitting and then showed us the different knitting methods and got us going on each of them.  In the end, we filled the day and I learned a number of different things.  A very good course and a great way to spend a day.  I even made a new friend who I hope to stitch and bitch with shortly.

Thanks to Stephanie and Rae from Stix N Stones in North Bay for a great weekend!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hey Janet! It was terrific taking the course with you, too.... and holding down the "stitch count" at 40 (at least for the first round!).

Conflicting schedules this week, but we're back doing our S&B as discussed on June 7...I'll pm you, but hope you can join us then!