Sunday, June 3, 2012

Once again my eyes are bigger than my stomach

Southern Ontario strawberries are ready!!!  And it is cool outside so I decided to make jam.  Generally jam making always coincides with the hottest day of the year so I was quite motivated to get this done today.

I drove up to Springridge this morning and picked up lots and lots of strawberries.  I had decided before going that I was going to make 3 batches of jam ... straight-up strawberry, strawberry rhubarb (with orange peel this year) and strawberry kiwi (to use up the kiwis cluttering my refrigerator from my organic delivery service, Wanigan).   Success on the jam front - all have tasted great off the spoon, all the lids popped down and I only have one bowl in the refrigerator to enjoy immediately.

But I over-estimated the volume of strawberries required for this endeavour.  You would think after some signifiant experience in the area of jam making and general strawberry eating that I would have a clue by now of the volume that one person can consume but apparently not.  Oh well, a good excuse to make a strawberry crisp (crisp being my favourite dessert on the planet even outranking double chocolate chip cookies).  I sent a container over to the in-laws and I still have a lot left.

So, as in every other year, it looks like I'm going to follow my usual summer eating pattern - eat as much as I can before it goes out of season and remember that it will be another year before it tastes as good as this.

No comments: