Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rhubarb Sorbet

We had company for dinner tonight and I was looking for a dessert that I didn't have to bake since it is hot outside.  We have air conditioning but I've always felt a bit funny about heating up the house via the oven and then making the air conditioning work extra hard to cool things down again.  Not terribly frugal.

Anyway, I was leafing through cookbooks and was inspired by the ice cream recipes but didn't have cream in the house and didn't feel like going to the grocery store again.

Then I saw sorbet recipes.  Hmmm, I thought.  I still have some rhubarb in the garden - although I would have to say this year has not produced a bumper crop - I wonder what a rhubarb sorbet would be like.  I was going to improvise and then decided, since I've only made ice cream twice before, that maybe I would take a surf around the net.  This sorbet did pretty much what my improvisation was going to be.  I made it.  It was delicious.  A very delicate rhubarb flavour and very refreshing.  I didn't have the ginger and, as  mentioned, did not want to make another trip to the grocery store so left it out.  I did have vanilla vodka so thought that made sense.  It was yummy.  And, I think the ginger would have masked the rhubarb flavour so was quite happy with the end result.

No comments: