Monday, October 17, 2011

I completely understand ...

... the idea of parents-to-be not wanting to know what kind of baby they are having.  But they sure make it difficult for us knitters.  This little sweater was supposed to be unisex but after I finished it thought it looked too girly.  So for that unknown baby being born sometime in November unless he/she is early, I am now knitting a second, more boyish sweater just in case.  The fact that I chose this Debbie Bliss, Simply Baby pattern because I thought it looked boyish on the baby modelling it is neither here nor there.  My version looks girlish.

Not that having an extra item in the baby gift inventory is really such a bad thing but I'm behind on that Christmas knitting I was so excited about a month or so ago.  I've really only completed one of the projects for that event, to be blogged about later.  But I am half way through a second of the projects and a third is with nice chunky yarn so really shouldn't be too daunting.  There, I feel better.  The two pairs of socks might be another issue but it is way too early to give up.

Now for a complete change of topic, my latest recipe from Plenty was roasted pumpkin.  My Thanksgiving roadtrip resulted in the purchase of 3 small (around 3 pound) pumpkins.  One was made into Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good from Dorie Greenspan's book Around My French Table (yummy), another was made into a curried apple pumpkin soup (also yummy) and the third sat on the counter looking cute for a week until I decided to make it into Plenty's roasted pumpkin.  The pumpkin was sliced, the pieces brushed with olive oil and topped with a breadcrumb, parmesan and other good stuff crust.   Baked for 1/2 hour and enjoyed.

The only problem with my resolve to cook from my existing cookbooks - I love Plenty so much that I want to invest in Ottolenghi's other book Ottolenghi.  So far I have resisted the temptation to hit "buy" at Indigo.  Must ... stay ... resolved!

No comments: