Sunday, October 30, 2011

Buttercream Icing

I really wish I was one of those people with fast metabolism who can eat desserts all of the time and not instantly gain weight.  If I were, I would have made every single recipe in Flour by now.

Yesterday we went to a dinner party and I pulled out the cookbook with the thought that I would make an apple pie.  Being somewhat exhausted from very little sleep last week, I decided that a cake would be a better way to go.  I had all of the ingredients in house and didn't have to fight with pastry dough (which I don't make often enough to have the flair for so always fight with).  While chocolate cake is my general favourite, I knew it wasn't a favourite of one of my hosts so looked around for something else.  After the other half did an inventory of the spices a few weeks ago, I was made aware that I have an overstock supply of a few things, particularly cloves.  Since this recipe would drop my clove supply by 1/2 tsp, it seemed like the right thing to make.  Add to that, the buttercream icing, which I've never made before, would use up 3 egg whites I froze after making the extremely rich and delicious chocolate tart from the same cookbook a few weeks ago.

If I really look at it, making this cake was probably about the same amount of work and time as the pie would have been but, based on every apple pie I've ever tasted, so much better.  Having yet to make the apple pie from Flour, I may revise my thinking at a later date but for now, this cake is the winner.

The cake was delicious with just the right amount of spice.  Not overpowering but enough so you could taste it.  The icing was smooth and creamy and loaded with 1/3 cup of dark rum which, of course, only made things better.

The latest assignment of my photo course was around taking shots of things in motion so I was out in the morning taking pictures of waves at the beach.  They remind me of the icing.  In appearance only, of course.  Although, with all of the junk in Lake Ontario, it could taste like rum but I'm not about to find out.

No comments: