Monday, September 2, 2013

And in summary

As I've blogged about again and again, I have been overwhelmed with zucchini.  So, for those in a similar situation and as a record for next year, the top 20 zucchini strategies in my kitchen this year.  Some I've blogged about already but wanted these all in one place.  I should also note when the recipe calls for grated zucchini, I use the grating attachment on my food processor.  In no universe am I hand grating the pounds and pounds of zucchini that I've processed in my kitchen this year.  So here goes ...

1.  Food 52 zucchini bread - a nice change from the traditional chocolate zucchini bread
2.  Lesley Stowe's chocolate zucchini bread - I think I've made about 10 loaves this summer.  I've taken some to the office and the rest has been sliced and tossed in the freezer - easy to pull out for lunch bags.
3.  Zucchini fritters - made up this recipe myself.  Into some grated zucchini, add one egg, a handful of breadcrumbs, some grated parmesan, thyme, pepper and salt.  Mix and add more breadcrumbs until the mix holds together.  Heat a pan with enough olive oil to cover the bottom and drop the zucchini cakes in the pan.  Cook for about 2 minutes a side (until nice and brown and heated through) and transfer to a plate.  Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and serve.

From the book Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi - so far every recipe I've tried from this man's cookbooks has been delicious and these two recipes are no exception:
4.  Mixed Grill with Parsley Oil
5.  Zucchini and Hazelnut salad

From Bon Appetit magazine, who recently changed their webiste and it is horrible ... slow, my nicely organized recipe box is no longer organized, features don't work ... ugh:
6.  Curried Squash Soup
7.  Squash and Tomato Gratin

From Fine Cooking magazine:
8.  Roasted Ratatouille

From Canadian Living:
9.  Zucchini Pickles - these are really, really good
10.  Zucchini Relish

Quick uses:
11.  Give to friends
12.  Slice and toss in a salad
13.  Slice, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill
14.  Saute with some herbs, maybe a few nuts
15.  Throw into a pasta sauce - ribbons of zucchini with olive oil or mix with tomatoes or other veggies
16.  Add to other veggies in a stir fry
17.  Add slices to a sandwich - really good on a grilled sandwich

Tried but didn't make myself:
18.  Chocolate zucchini cupcakes - pretty much #2, above, in a cupcake form with icing

Haven't tried this year but there's still time
19.  Stuffed zucchini - lots of recipes out there.  I think I like the idea of sausage meat although Ottolenghi has a recipe in Plenty that would likely be a good choice.
20.  Smitten Kitchen's burst tomato galette with corn and zucchini - I think I'm making this for dinner tonight.  Without the corn.  I bought some at the farmer's market on Saturday and we gobbled it down that day for lunch.  Oh well, I think without the corn it should still be tasty.

So there you have it.  My top 20.  Other than the parts of the year with no local produce unless it is from a greenhouse, I am pretty keen on eating food that is in season.  And in a way it is really easy ... I'm pretty sure after eating my body weight and more in zucchini this summer, I will have no interest in eating it out of season.  Although, I really should grate some and throw it in the freezer.  By February, I might be hungry for it again.



No comments: