Sunday, April 3, 2011

Parsnips

I made the halibut I mentioned this morning.  It was very tasty.  But that isn't really part of my afternoon story.

It was another nice spring day and since I have several seeds that say to plant in "early spring" without much further definition, I planted them today after turning over the veggie patch.  I also knew I had intentionally left some parsnips in the ground over the winter because everything I have read says they are so much sweeter and can be dug up over the winter.  Since I don't possess a tool that digs into frozen ground, I did not try to dig them up over the winter but I dug them up today.  And I made a parsnip puree (recipe from Spilled Milk, a very funny podcast).   While I was expecting something more like mashed potatoes, I got soup.  Which was ok but I didn't use my brain and realize it was soup until after I put it on the plates.  Regardless, it was delicious and tasted surprisingly good with the sauce for the halibut.  The parsnips were so sweet.  Very, very good.  I highly recommend planting parsnip seeds and letting them over winter.  I enjoy them in the fall but the difference is incredible.  I still have a couple in the fridge so plan to enjoy them roasted or in a great Fine Cooking risotto recipe that I discovered a couple of years ago.

In other, sadder news, there was a rather large house fire in my neighbourhood this afternoon.  One of the onlookers said that the husband died two weeks ago and he was pretty sure the wife died in the fire.  I hope they are together again.

No comments: