Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baking Frenzy

Despite being pretty much exhausted after being up later than normal the last 2 nights and not really sleeping all that well all week, for some reason I decided that today I was in the mood to bake, bake, bake.  Some of the mood came from a shopping trip to Metro yesterday where everything was on sale.  Butter was something like $3 off.  Flour was on sale.  Eggs were on sale.  The only small issue is that, other than the eggs, I'm pretty well stocked on all of the other ingredients I threw in the cart.  So it was time to find some space in the pantry and refrigerator.

First up on the assembly line were multi-grain buns and, not pictured, bread.  This is a recipe from the Robin Hood Flour website that I found as a suggested use for their newish multigrain flour blend.  I haven't tried them yet but things all went according to instruction so I expect they will be tasty.

Next up, peanut butter, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  These are a recipe I've had hanging around, cut out from a Baker's Chocolate advertisement that used to be in a lot of magazines years ago.  I think it is also on the website but it is taking forever to call up the recipe with a similar sounding name so I'm not going to link.  The recipe produces a really tasty, although somewhat flat, cookie.

Then, in the "not such a great success" category are some nutty chocolate dried cherry granola bars.  I picked up this recipe from an Our Complements magazine from Sobey's.  It tastes really good.  Unfortunately, the bars didn't really set well and I think they will have to be eaten with a spoon.  This picture is a pretty good representation of their appearance. I don't think I could have baked them any longer they taste almost past done and got brown on the top.

Next up was a chocolate chip banana bread from the book Bite Me.  It is still in the oven so no picture of that one for now.

And while all this was going on I made jam.  In a case of desperation, I bought strawberries yesterday because I am at rock bottom in the jam department and I would rather make jam from imported strawberries than buy jam from the grocery store.  Yes, I realize that this just proves I'm crazy.

I'm off to try one of the buns with some lovely washed rind cheese from Quebec that I also picked up yesterday.  It might taste pretty good with the jam.

Then I think I need a nap.

No comments: