Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finally!

These socks are called Carved in Wool from the Fall 2010 issue of Interweave Knits magazine.  The good thing about the sock-every-two-months challenge is that I finished these incredibly time-consuming and irritating socks.  This likely would not have happened without that motivation.

I'm not even sure I really like the finished product and they are a little too baggy.  Good for hanging around the house I guess.  I have not a centimetre of yarn left.  In fact, the toes are a tiny bit shorter than I would like because I had to frog a bit of the first one to finish the second.  Good thing I had the ending stitches on holders in anticipation of this eventuality.

At least I decided against the provisional cast on irritation.  I started it for the first one but cast on too many stitches, got most of the way through it and just couldn't face doing it again.  The yarn is too thin to make that a fun experience.  So when I recast on with the correct number of stitches, I just did a regular k1 p1 rib.    By the time I got to the second sock, I was very glad I made that decision.

To put it in perspective, it took more than 2 months of regular knitting to finish these socks.  In 3 days this week, I've already finished 2/3 of the leg of my next pattern, called Spring Forward from Knitty.

The lesson from this project - no more heavily patterned socks and if you aren't liking the project frog before you are too far gone.

I'm going to hit post and walk the pattern over to the recycling box so I don't ever see it again.

No comments: