Saturday, July 23, 2011

On Vacation!

For the first time ever we don't have a big trip or a cottage veg-out planned for our vacation.   We have a sick cat who needs a sub-contaneous fluid treatment every second day so we don't want to go too far.  To non pet owners, and even some pet owners, this sounds a bit crazy but we have been accused of being a bit crazy (or at least I have) in the past so there you have it.

I took a trip up to North Bay for a few days at the beginning of this week.  Highlights included:

1.  The best butter tart I've ever tasted when I stopped for a snack in South River.  The cafe, whose name I can't remember, is on the north west corner at the stop lights.  Anyone who travels through there will be able to find it.  Very, very good butter tart.

2.  Dinner at the White Owl Bistro.  This place looks like nothing from the outside - just a little cottage.  But inside, yummy food awaits.  I had a wild boar tenderloin with a very tasty pommery mustard and cranberry sauce and basil mashed potatoes.  My only complaint - they insist on trying to feed me cauliflower!  Actually, one other complaint - their air conditioner either wasn't working or doesn't exist and it got a bit hot towards the end of the evening.

3.  Homestead Stitches - this actually used to be a favourite place but it, sob, has closed.  I loved this little store but I guess others must not have and it is gone.  I was so upset when we walked up to it and there were workmen doing renos inside.

4.  Stix and Stones - the local knit shop with the lovely dog Cusco.  This is a nice yarn shop and I really like her new location.

5.  Greco's pizza - while I had their Cannelloni this time, which was delicious, this place has the best pizza anywhere.  I'm not kidding.  A guy I know at the office has a friend with a plane and sometimes, they fly up to North Bay, just for Greco's pizza.

6.  Art on Main - I didn't go there this time but this is a lovely store that is an artist cooperative essentially.  A number of local artisans have lovely pieces for sale here and I've contributed to the local artists on a number of occasions!

7.   Zenone's - this is a clothing store whose name has changed to something else recently but it has nice clothes that fit me properly.  I have been particularly successful with shorts there lately but have picked up a couple of nice things for work too.

8.  The Ultimate Kitchen part of the Trans Canada Store has really good kitchen gadgets and I can spend a good chunk of time browsing there.

9.  Twiggs - this place has very good specialty coffees and other good looking stuff.  The only thing I've eaten there is the Hawaiian pizza, which was good, but they have other great looking things too.

10.  Leisure Farms - strawberries are done in Southern Ontario but not in Sturgeon Falls, just a 1/2 hour drive from North Bay.  We went picking strawberries and not only were they cheaper, they were bigger and sweeter.

That's a summary of the first vacation excursion.  More to come.  And the picture of the flower - just because.

No comments: