Saturday, July 30, 2011

The diamond quilt is done

Several months ago, I posted the completed diamond quilt top.  This morning, put the last stitch through the binding and it is done!

I had been debating about getting a professional quilter to quilt it for me but really prefer to finish them myself if I think I can on my little machine.  I have a Pfaff that I won on a radio call in contest in Sudbury when I was in university and it is very sturdy but small.  It has few bells and whistles and does not have a big window between the main control panel and the presser foot.  So I always have to try to keep the quilt on the left side of the presser foot as much as possible.  I discovered that the quilting method I chose for this quilt made that a little difficult but I managed and only have a few areas that are a bit less than perfectly straight.   I used the walking foot to sew down both the inside and the outside of each diagonal row of diamonds further reinforcing the diamond shape.

In deciding my quilting method, I picked up the Kaffe Fassett book the design came from and examined his quilts.  All of his diamond quilts, I think I found 3 of them, were finished in the same way.  So I thought, if a guy who clearly knows what he is doing in this area has finished all of his diamond quilts in the same way, I probably can't go wrong in matching his approach.  So I did.  And I think it looks great.

No comments: