Sunday, December 22, 2013

They look messy but these might be the ones

A few unrelated thoughts in this post:

1.  I love the Chocolate Aroma cookies at my local coffee shop, Aroma.  They are chocolate, with icing sugar and are almost perfect.  And the best thing, when you feel like a small sweet with your coffee, they are a small sweet.  They aren't the as-big-as-your-head cookies that Starbucks sells which provide a meal in a cookie and don't actually taste very good.

I've tried a few recipes over the last few weeks to see if I could recreate them and I think I've finally come close.  Since this recipe was passed to me as being a possibility by another cookie-loving friend, I should have tried it first.  They are called chocolate crackle cookies and are from Martha Stewart's website.  As I went over there to get the link, I notice there are several other chocolate crackle cookies that would also be worth a try.  But in the meantime, I have these.  And they are delicious.

2.  Outside today we have a blanket of ice.  Thankfully our power hasn't gone off, despite trying to a few times (touch wood).  I stuck my head out earlier to look around and could hear ice crashing down off of the trees.  It looks pretty but treacherous.  So we're hibernating today.  I baked the cookies above.  We had squash soup from the freezer for lunch with garlic bread made from some leftover baguette and a glass of Chardonnay.  Can't get much better than that.

3.  I made another hat for the Warm Hands Network.  I have discovered that I quite enjoy making hats but am less crazy about wearing them.  My already flat-as-a-pancake hair does not need the added influence of a hat.  With Warm Hands I get to enjoy the making and someone gets to enjoy the wearing. A winning solution all around.

No comments: