Saturday, December 17, 2011

Little Monsters

Check out these cute little monsters.  I ran into the pattern at the quilt show at the Royal Botanical Gardens in the summer and instantly thought of Christmas gifts for my little nephews.  Who knows if little kids will be interested in a pillow with monsters but I think their parents will like them.  This was very easy and quite fun to make.  The hardest part was finding rectangular pillows.  Thankfully my favourite fabric shop on Ottawa Street in Hamilton has it all.

Yesterday was Christmas cookie extravaganza day.  I took the day off work and baked.  I made kahlua truffles, chocolate bark, shortbread, jam filled shortbread, smores bars (from the Toronto Star's annual Christmas cookie advent calendar) and chocolate covered coconut macaroons.  The smores bars are a little too sweet for me but I think kids and my husband will like them.

All of the recipes were from magazines or newspapers, finally justifying the work of copying them into my word program.  I used to cut recipes out of magazines and file them somewhere but then I never looked at them.  It is a bit more work to type them or copy them from magazine websites but at least they are in one place and I don't have to hang on to 7000 magazines.  I'm not sure why I can live with clutter in fabric, yarn and books but can't stand having magazines hanging about forever.  At least there is one thing in my life that I like to keep organized.    

Back to the cookies.  The truffles and bark are awesome.  Rich and delicious.  My other favourite are the macaroons.  I picked up this recipe from Bon Appetit magazine but link to Orangette's version here.  She is the author of the Bon Appetit article too but that recipe didn't use almond extract which would probably be great.  The truffles are from Dufflet pastries.  I think it was in an LCBO recipe pamphlet.  The rest, who knows.  Sometimes I take good notes about where the recipes are from.  Sometimes I don't.  But they are all on my computer so I can find them again for next year's cookie baking extravaganza.


No comments: