Monday, December 26, 2011

Alternate Christmas Dinner

 Merry Christmas!

I spent the weeks leading up to Christmas trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  There were only 3 of us, turkey is not my favourite, my husband detests cleaning up after a big turkey extravaganza and there are so many left-overs.  I am not a lover of left-overs and after the first turkey pot pie and one sandwich, am glad to see the last of the turkey.

So, I was in the local butcher shop last week and asked Carol for alternate ideas.  I had thought of beef tenderloin, which would have been nice.  Then I saw the picture taped to the counter from last year's Food and Drink magazine from the LCBO - Classic French Beef Ribs - and that was it.

The butcher shop sets them up in the fancy presentation and after that, it is pretty much a classic braise. Except that it is one of the best braises I've ever tasted.  The initial flavourings are the big secret here.  Tons of onion, carrot, celery and garlic help.  So do the port and wine simmered down to a gravy before adding the stock and the meat and popping it in the oven.

It was a perfect match for the potato and celery root mash with a side of green beans.  Add to that, it goes naturally with a nice big red wine and it was the perfect Alternate Christmas dinner.

It is also an easy way to make something special any day of the year.

Finally, we used the Christmas plates my sister-in-law bought us about 3 years ago that have never made it out of the box.  Very festive.

No comments: