Saturday, December 31, 2011

Another New Cookbook or 3

Of all of my addictions, none of which unfortunately are a physical damage to myself or others - well, other than the risk of being buried under my various stashes if the shelves fall down - my cookbook addiction is the worst and most long enduring.  It started in university when I picked up a few of those cookbooks geared to students ... cooking for one, cooking on campus, cooking stuff that isn't chips and pop, etc ... and has continued to this day.  Fortunately, I regularly use them.

I have been pretty good about going to the library first when a cookbook interests me ... the lady who orders the books is a big cookbook fan too so they generally have the books that catch my eye.  This has really curtailed my acquiring because it gives me a chance to really look at the book to see if it gives me anything I don't already have in another book.  Generally the answer is no and I make something from one I already own.

Lately, 3 books have come to my attention that I find unique or interesting enough to buy.  Combined with the fact that the library doesn't have them yet and they are now on my shelves.

Tender, volume 1 by Nigel Slater.  This book ties into my veggie gardening obsession and has really good chapters on most vegetables.  It includes growing ideas, eating ideas and general thoughts by Slater.  New ideas for cooking veggies was the original draw but the gardening tie-in makes it a big winner.  I almost bought the fruit book (volume 2) the other day but decided to hold off until I've at least finished reading the stories in this one.

Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi was another must-have due to the pleasure I'm getting cooking from Plenty.  I haven't spent much time with it yet but did use a green bean recipe for Christmas dinner.  Very nice.

Pangea - Why it Tastes so Good from the restaurant Pangea at Bay and Bloor in Toronto.  We went there for lunch the other day - which was fabulous.  I had celery root soup with a nice little apple garnish and a beet salad with goat cheese and ginger crisps (which happens to be on the cover of the book).  I had heard about the book, they had copies, it included a recipe for the beet salad and their very yummy mushroom risotto so I was lost.  Last night for dinner I made the black cod with Jerusalem artichokes, tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach (I think the title is something much shorter but don't feel like getting up to look).  It was excellent.  I had some Jerusalem artichokes in the refrigerator, picked out of my abundance in the garden the other week.  I do have to say that I need to find somewhere to take some Jerusalem artichokes next year because, despite giving some to neighbours and a friend at the office, I have at least 2 plants left in the garden.  I like them but can only eat so many.  Read the link and find out why!

No comments: