Sunday, September 4, 2011

Photo Classes

I've recently finished an 8 week course at Betterphoto.com.  I've really enjoyed it.  I'm not sure whether my pictures have gotten any better but I've been taking a lot more which has upped the chances of finding a better picture in the batch.

Betterphoto have 4 week and 8 week courses on a bunch of different topics, including how to use Photoshop which I might investigate eventually.

I wanted to do an 8 week because I felt like by the time a 4 week was over, I would feel like I was just getting started.  With the 8 week course, every Wednesday, the instructor sends an email with a lesson and an assignment and it is due for submission a week and a half later.  I like that set up because I can't always guarantee time during the week to take photos so it gives me two weekends to do the assignment pictures.

While I obviously signed up to learn, my main motivation for taking the course was to get interested in taking pictures again.  I used to take pictures all of the time but have lately lost my enthusiasm.  I wanted to get that back.  I would say that I have accomplished both goals.  The critiques from the instructor are very useful and practical.  The ability to see what the classmates are submitting and the critiques on their photos has also helped me learn.  And I'm really interested in taking pictures again.  I've been going out at least one weekend morning each week to catch the sunrise.  I had forgotten how different each of them are and, actually, how addictive it is to see what the next one will be like.  So far, while all have been lovely, I'm still looking for that spectacular sunrise so it keeps me going back.  There are far worse addictions.  And as the weather changes the other changing aspects of the scenery will keep me going back.

I uploaded my final assignment for the current class yesterday and am looking forward to my first assignment for class number two on Wednesday.

No comments: