Sunday, November 24, 2013

But next time, for $27, I'll buy a tree

I've been reading about quince (the fruit) in a bunch of different places lately.  And specifically, quince jelly.  I wasn't sure you could buy quince here but I took myself off to Longo's to see if they had any.  They did.  I picked out six and continued on with my grocery shopping.  When the cashier rang me through, she entered 7 quince at $27!  Yikes.  Fortunately, I was only buying 6 so we corrected that and I went on my way, thinking that I probably should have paid attention to the price in the veggie aisle and sincerely hoped that I would enjoy quince jelly.

This weekend, I cooked up the quince and made the jelly using guidance from Clotilde at Chocolate & Zucchini.  I ended up with 1.5 L of liquid after cooking down the quince so added an additional 400g of sugar.  I only had one lemon but is was larger than average and gave me 6 tablespoons of juice (normally I seem to get 4 out of one lemon) so I went with it.

The jelly seems to be jelling although I'm not sure I love the taste of the bits I got on my fingers.  We'll see.  On toast might be a better taste experience.

But I have decided that if I like quince jelly, I'll buy a tree.

No comments: