Sunday, June 23, 2013

It is strawberry season and I am just a little bit crazy


So on the hottest day of the year so far, I decide to make strawberry jam. Not much new there. But at least the new kitchen has a very good hood fan. To be better than the previous fan, it would just have to work. And it does. Very well.

Anyway, back to the jam.  I really like making jam and having a better kitchen really helps with the workflow. This will be a summer of preserving if I have anything to say about it. I made 3 kinds of jam today. Straight up strawberry. Vanilla-rhubarb jam from Food in Jars (which included some strawberries to top things up to 8 cups - my rhubarb patch couldn't quite get there on its own) and strawberry balsamic black pepper jam from Canadian Living's Complete Preserving.  All very tasty on the spoon and only one jar lid hadn't popped at last check. 

Next up - wild blueberries - can't wait!

No comments: