Saturday, January 15, 2011

People Who Expect Knitted Gifts

Don't you just love them?  My niece, who is 7, still expects to get a sweater for Christmas.  This made me so glad since I had raced to get this one, Morado, done in time to give it to her.  It was one of those - down-to-the-wire, will it fit, has she gotten to the point where she thinks I'm the crazy aunt who knits sweaters instead of buying those cool jeans that everyone at school is wearing - situations.

But when she opened it, she had a huge smile and put it on immediately without any prompting from anyone.  Her mother told me that my niece said before we got together to celebrate the holidays that she was hoping I had made her a sweater!  It really doesn't get any better than that.

The cat with the kidney problem continues to provide fun and excitement.  She now needs intravenous fluids twice a week that we give her at home.  Our first go at it was successful in the end but resulted in further mental trauma to the cat and to us.  Did she squirm or yell at the vet when he was giving us the lesson ... no.  Did the needle go in first try at the vet ... of course.  After squirming, yelling and several jabs with the needle, fluid leaking all over her fur, we managed to make it happen.  She was not happy.  I immediately called my sister-in-law, a nurse, and bribed her with dinner to help us the second time.  A much smoother event.  Hopefully we and the cat will get comfortable with this soon or we are going to have to be feeding a lot of nurses who like cats!

No comments: