Saturday, January 22, 2011

I Love Winter!

Over the last few weeks, we've finally seen a decent amount of snow.  I'm one of those people who believe that if you are going to have winter, you need to have snow.  It doesn't have to be a lot ... I do need to get to work and the commuting is never smooth with lots of snow ... but we should have some.  I love shoveling the driveway.  I don't even mind wearing boots.  And the best thing, when I leave the house before the sun comes up, the snow makes the world seem less dark.

On the January austerity program front, I have actually finished a couple of projects.  I made these booties for a guy at work whose wife is having a baby any day, at the latest tomorrow according to the doctor.  I made them with leftover sock yarn and some of the 9 million buttons taking up space in my cupboards.  Button collecting was clearly a hobby of many generations of my family and I've inherited them all.  All very utilitarian but oh so many.  I feel quite excited when I use some but its like taking, in this case,  4 grains of sand from a very long beach!

Another finished project is the lovely Monkey Sock that everyone who knits socks and is on Ravelry has or is making.  It is actually quite a nice pattern (although not sure where Monkey comes from - the designer probably tells why in the intro but that would actually require me to read it) and knits up surprisingly fast.  The best thing, I made these a bit longer than suggested by the pattern and have an extremely small amount of yarn left.  Just enough to darn the heels if I pop through them someday.  Perfect!

I also finished a cowl/scarf thing from the winter Debbie Bliss magazine.

Right now, I'm waiting for 2 kinds of bread to rise.  I think one is ready to go in the oven.  In fact, there goes the timer now.

No comments: