Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Self Imposed Austerity Program

So I've got an austerity program in place for January.  I would say that it isn't really about saving money (although this is, of course, an excellent result) but more about using the food in the freezer and the pantry and finishing some projects of the knitting and quilting variety.  So I decided, $100 a week in discretionary spend (which includes groceries but obviously bills get paid and vet costs are covered).

So far, it is partially working.  The $100 goal has been dead easy.  Surprisingly easy.  I think this week will be a bit more challenging because we're starting to run out of staples but I have underspent in the first 2 weeks so it should be okay.  I'm emptying the freezer and using stuff in the pantry.  I'm baking bread and eating all of the veggies instead of having to toss because I bought too much.  All good.

The part that hasn't worked as well is project completion.  While I've made some progress, I have been distracted by the loan of a turntable that converts records to MP3s.  I have thrown myself into this project and it has completely overtaken my craft table.  So I might have to extend this ban on buying into February to meet the second half of the objective.

It is funny digging out old records.  I don't even remember some of the bands and singers.  Several were one-hit wonders, for sure.  I also can't believe some of the songs I remember thinking were so great in the 80s.  The project is taking a while but not as long as expected as I come to the realization that my teen music tastes were not as outstanding as I remember and I don't need to convert the entire record collection.   Some stuff is better left hidden in the basement.

No comments: