Sunday, May 26, 2013

I think it might be rhubarb

When someone asks me what my favourite fruit is, I have difficulty answering.  Sometimes I think it is wild blueberries.  More often I am certain it is peaches.  But I think it might actually be rhubarb.  Although, I don't think rhubarb is actually a fruit but rather a vegetable.  So it might actually be peaches and then I throw rhubarb into the ... what is your favourite vegetable? ... conversation.  Actually, the question is probably easier to answer there.  While I like all sorts of vegetables, rhubarb would win that contest with very little effort.

Anyway, it is rhubarb season ... yay!  And I plucked some from my garden tonight for a crisp.  The crop isn't too plentiful yet so I mixed in some strawberries I bought at the grocery store from California or some other non local source.  I usually like rhubarb straight up but with strawberries find that I don't need to add much sugar.  Regardless, it was excellent.  And I have lots left over for breakfasts this week!  What?  It's fruit (or even better, a vegetable) mixed with oatmeal.  Health food!

No comments: