Saturday, July 7, 2012

Book publishers must not understand inspiration

I've been looking at a selection of fabrics for my dad's Christmas quilt for a couple of weeks trying to figure out what I want to make with them.  So this morning, I finally found inspiration in a Kaffe Fassett book.  Perfect.  It fits the fabrics exactly the way I think they should go.  It even looks fairly straightforward although I will have to cut and sew carefully for a change so the joins line up.  So, I have the time, I have the inspiration and the pattern requires blowing the templates up 200%.  Ugh.

When I am inspired, I want to get going.  I don't want to dig into the pockets of all of my jackets to find a bunch of quarters (or loonies probably), drive to the library, photocopy the pattern and come back.  And my local branch isn't open on Saturdays so would have to go to the crazy busy branch a little further away or find a Staples.  By the time that was all done, I would be distracted by some other project or have lost interest in quilting and would put the project aside until next time.  No progress made.

I wish I was one of those organized people who plans things out in advance but I am not.  I like spur of the moment and fancy that this characteristic means I'm somehow a creative type.   There is the other part of my brain, which dominates at least 5 days of the week, that completely understands the financial reasons behind the publisher's approach.  Fortunately the pattern is easy so I'm increasing it the old fashioned way, with paper and pencil.  Except that I am ranting on the blog but will get back to the quilt in a few minutes rather than a few weeks.

On the plus side for today, I rode up to the farmers' market again this morning, watching the clouds the entire time.  As soon as I turned the corner onto my street, the thunder started.  By the time I was inside making myself a latte, the rain was teaming down.  How is that for excellent timing?  Thank you to Mother Nature, not only for the rain, but for waiting until I made it home before opening up the skies!

No comments: