Sunday, November 20, 2011

At least this addiction saves space

I recently acquired a Kobo ereader.  Tilley Endurables, the travel clothing store has a - spend $300, get a free Kobo promotion on - so I decided to go check it out.  I easily managed to find $300 worth of stuff and got the reader.  Previously I was of the opinion that I preferred books and would never be interested in reading on a screen.  I saw the benefits when travelling - one ereader vs 4 books makes so much sense - but never thought I would adapt to using it every day.  Since the machine came loaded with 100 classic titles, I charged it up that afternoon at the office and broke open Pride and Prejudice on the train home.  Instantly, smitten.  Since then,
 - I have downloaded books from the library.  Although I would have to say the selection there isn't too spectacular.  Hopefully that will only improve with time.  My local library branch is closed for renovations and the alternative takes a little longer to get to so being able to download immediately is very appealing.  Add to that, I don't have to decipher the little splotches on the pages, wondering where the book has been before me.
 - I have purchased a couple that both of us will read.  I bought one of these gizmos for my husband for his birthday and feel much more frugal when buying a book if both of us will read it.  And no need to find space on a bookshelf when we're finished.
 - I bought the Yarn Harlot's latest this morning - no frugality here, just supporting a local knitter :).
 - And I still have 99 free classics to read.

I can't wait until we go somewhere on vacation and I don't have to figure out how to get one more book in the bag.  I guess I should figure out how long the charge lasts before we do that.  There is an advantage to the page turning kind after all.

No comments: